Thursday, March 28, 2019

HOOK SHOT by Author Kennedy Ryan




MY THOUGHTS AFTER READING... 

I'm so grateful to receive another ARC from Ms. Kennedy Ryan... I love her! She's such a rockstar. 


I love basketball. I was a Bulls fan in the 90's... I had my folks buy me Jordans even when girls wearing boy's shoes at that time were criticized... but I didn't care. I wore what I wanted and what would make me happy... 


In the last couple of years I found myself cheering for Golden State simply because I'm a SF 49ers and SF Giants fan... plus it doesn't hurt that Stephen and Klay are easy on the eyes. I'm just saying... I'd always argue that it still has connections to my 90's Bulls because of their coach, Steve Kerr... 


So enough about that... lol.


I've been lucky enough to receive an ARC from each book in the HOOP series... and I gotta say that this one is definitely my most favorite. I've never connected to a male main character so much... His upbringing, his personality... 


I'm not totally allergic to people. It might not even be obvious that I'm an introvert but I so friggin am... I love my alone time. My alone time is my comfort zone... aaaand well, we both got cheated on. So yeah, I get Kenan... 


And with Lotus, well... I come from the far east. I'm a Catholic and was raised in a loving bi-religion household... my Dad is a muslim and my Mom is Catholic... I pray as often as I can but at the same time I also believe that there are things that cant be 100% explained by science...  there's nothing wrong with following superstitious beliefs as long as it doesn't affect you or others in a negative way.


All the time I kept on thinking about Kobe Bryant or a younger Anfernee Hardaway as Kenan... and Ciara as Lotus... I know they're married but it's them that popped in my head...


I think we could all learn something from Kenan and Lotus' story... their resilience... their patience... their focus... their candor... their strength and their determination to make it work. 


I love the book! I actually found myself crying over the last couple of chapters. It's not as angsty as I expected coz I remember with August and Iris' story, it was...  


It's not a light read but like I mentioned earlier, it's not that angsty and I loved it... The flow was flawless—get it??lol I'm such a dork. But seriously, the flow of the story, the pacing... the characters... it's all great. I just wish there was a longer epilogue... thats all. I'm a sucker for those.


If you're a fan of A.L. Jackson, Marni Mann, Devney Perry and Kandi Steiner, this is the book to pick up next! I definitely recommend!