Thursday, April 4, 2019

THE DEVIL'S ADVOCATE by Author ASHLEY JADE



MY THOUGHTS AFTER READING...

This is my first Ashley Jade ARC and read, ever—well I had to read The Devil. So technically my second, lol... and honestly, my mind is still not done digesting everything.  I think I'm over analyzing it but reading this kinda left me reeling... I'm like, whaaat? Really? I think it's ridiculous but not bad ridiculous, you know what I mean?


Before I dive in and share my thoughts, let me just put it out there that I'm not a prude but I do hail from a conservative background... I grew up reading Disney's Fairy Tales and Sweet Valley High... and my Dad and my Mom are my ultimate couple goals. So yes, I guess that would make me vanilla and a traditionally huge romantic sap... 


I had to read this with a very open mind and had to be circumspect with how I will put my thoughts into words because tropes like this one isn't really my cup of tea. 


Honestly, I don't think there's really anything romantic with sharing your beloved with another person... especially being physically present and allowing it in the first place, is just too twisted for me. I would never ever be okay with sharing my boyfriend or husband with anybody... flirty glances would already get my hackles up what more watch them getting it on, right? But its just me. I'm possessive that way.


I've read psycho-thrillers and dark romances before but this, this is... well... not bad but not my kind of thing either. I'm not trying to put down anybody's preferences. I'm just writing my thoughts with as much candor as I can. 


At first I didn't even know this was book two... I saw in the IG stories of one of my author friends that it was part of a duet... and so I read book one, THE DEVIL—which was kinda' interesting and somewhat new to me. Like I said before, it not my cup of tea... and yes, just because it's not my cup of tea, doesn't mean it's bad. 


Yes, there were times where I was like, "and she's only 18??" or "is it really possible??" Or "does it really happen in real life?"


But despite the cringe-inducing  parts, the book was still gripping. I was sort of mesmerized by it... I guess by it's newness and intensity... and of course, let us appreciate how scorching the cover is... (sigh).


It was a wee bit fast paced... and it's insta-lust and insta-love... I'm not a fan of those but it works with this story. I just wish there was a longer epilogue...


If you're a fan of Sierra Simone, Nicole Edwards or a Pepper Winters fan, then this is the book to pick up next.