Monday, October 1, 2018

LOCK by Author MOLLY MCADAMS



I’ve waited for him for over a decade. Loyalties kept us apart. A death set us free. Our passion unleashed, nothing could stop us. Until my world was rocked—my greatest failure leaving me with my greatest heartbreak. Now Maverick is baring his soul to me, begging me to let him in. God knows I want to, but I love him, and that means I’ll do anything to keep him from the pain haunting me. Even if it destroys us both. Someone has been waiting for this perfect moment to strike. Watching me. Studying me. Waiting for me to be too consumed with hurt to notice he was there. Someone who knows me. I’m Einstein . . . like the genius, only smarter and with better hair. There’s nothing I can’t hack into, crack open, or figure out. Well, almost nothing. And if I can’t beat his sinister game, it won’t just be my heart that stops beating.



MY THOUGHTS AFTER READING...


This was my first Molly McAdams ARC! I already have some of her earlier paperbacks, and a couple of her e-books in my iPad. 


To be honest, I wasn't able to read it's predecessors. I had to check the blurbs of some of the books to have an idea who the characters were so I'd understand better.


Overall, you can read this book as a standalone.... but trust me, it'd be much better to read the previous books so you'll have a smoother integration into the next book... Some of them were already in my TBR list—a TBR list that probably consisted of 500 books long... I only bump the ARC's up since they have a due date... I think most of us, bookworms, have that same problem, lol... Anyway... 


I have mixed feelings about this one, and I'm probably the only one... I don't know... 


I know emotional rollercoasters are the author's trademark, but man... this one felt like the longest rollercoaster ever. I felt beat, tired, angry, anxious, gutted and wrangled—and this is neither good nor bad, its just (sigh) I don't know.... 


My heart still hurts. My chest feels heavy. Is that even normal? Am I the only one who feels this way?? I didn't ugly cry at all but I was very sad, drained and very frustrated... both main characters frustrated the h3ll outta me, especially the female lead.smh...


All the freaking time I kept yelling at her in my head, "Just tell him! Just tell him!" because for me, the secret wasn't worth all the anguish... it wasn't worth draining the life out of her and him. I know it was explained in story why she did what she did, but for an acclaimed genius, it wasn't a very intelligent move. He loves her so much. He'd take a bullet for her, but why won't she do this for him? For the both them? and this goes on and on... smh.


After all this time, after all they went through... to finally be together, just to be separated again; not because of other people, but because of an accident neither of them want to happen.... Accident's happen all the time. They both work for the mafia for crying out loud! She should've just told him... what she did drained him, drained her and in turn, it also drained me. 


Yeah sure we all have our reasons, but come on! At least she did acknowledge she was a coward... and she may be annoying but at least she wasn't a hypocrite... A lot of characters frustrate me, but Einstein (Avery) is one of those at the top... I cant relate to her much. I think I can relate more to Maverick (Andrew) than her... He was just so patient and loving and practically a saint to be the way he was with her. Nobody exerts that much effort or sacrifice anymore these days. He was the martyr and she was the emotional aggressor. 


The relief  of the heaviness in this story is Diggs (Evan). He was what the story  needed to balance the load full of feelings it squeezes out of you... He made me smile and he lightens every situation he's in. He is the epitome of what brother should me. And when push comes to shove, he's got his brother's back 100%.


This is a "heavy" read... a romantic suspense, action and drama. 


It is gripping but it's very angsty, and definitely not one of those rainbows and unicorns, lovey-dovey sh!t most romantic saps eat up.