Saturday, March 22, 2014

MY CLARITY by M. CLARKE/MARY TING

SYNOPSIS: 

Still reeling from the death of her father, Alexandria hopes to find both independence and reprieve from her grief by heading off to college. However, life throws her a serious curveball when she discovers that her roommate isn’t quite the person she imagined it would be.

Smoking, tattoos, and drag racing for fast cash are Elijah’s only interests. A harsh life has made him apathetic and indifferent, until Alexandria enters his life. When their paths cross, turmoil abounds.
An inevitable encounter, an undeniable attraction, and an unexpected chance at love-will it be enough?



My thoughts after reading...

Wow... I just gotta say that I love this book more than the Something Wonderful series. I mean, of course all of the books by M. Clarke/Mary Ting are beautifully written but this...this one is my favorite so far... It hits close to home.

To be quite honest with ya'll, after just a few pages I contemplated on whether or not to continue reading as I was just getting over the last book that made me ugly-cry as fuck. But of course I went ahead... I guess I'm a bit of a masochist that way...

I felt a huge personal connection to Alexandria... Her relationship with her dad is almost the same as mine... Their interactions, their bonding moments...the closeness...it was almost the same... And thats why I practically cried buckets while reading through it. Its different when the scene unfolding in the story is almost the same as yours. I wasn't kidding when I said I was a quivering mess.

I admire Alexandria's strength... of course life goes on, but its not easy, especially when the wounds were still fresh... and 3 months since losing her dad, seems plenty fresh to me. In my case, at 3 months I was a lot like a walking zombie... Its like everything that went on in my life was just a friggin blur.

Speaking from personal experience, its never easy to lose someone you love---your pillar of strength...a corner of your world. Whether or not that loved-one was suddenly taken away or gradually by being sick, its never easy... You are never ready to deal with that kind of heartbreak no matter how hard you try to prepare yourself or what your rational thinking says... I may even say that there's no getting over it. We just learn to accept the harshness of reality that they're already gone...

Everybody heals at their own pace... and everybody deals with their own pain differently... 

I loved how the author told Alex's and Ellie's story... the idea of it... the pacing... how each characters were described and their significance in the story...basically, just how the author wrote the story in such a realistic and relatable manner.

I read a whole lotta books... I can't even keep up with my TBR shelf but I can't seem to stop myself from accumulating them... Lord knows I bit more than I could chew... But thats besides the point... My point is, I don't just rave about books I read just for the heck of it... It has to make an impact to me... Touch me in any way... And although there are a lot of great manuscripts out there, this one is definitely one of my top fave books for 2014.

What I learned from this story, is to always be thankful for today... appreciate and love the people around you... because tomorrow isn't guaranteed to us.

For those who loved WHEN YOU'RE READY by J. L. Berg, WHAT'S LEFT OF ME by Amanda Maxlyn, BETTER by Carey Heywood, WHEN IT RAINS by Lisa De Jong and FORVER BLACK by Sandi Lynn...you will surely love MY CLARITY. I promise... 

Coming out on MAY 12th 2014... Mark your calendars!

In the mean time, here are the #PicQuotes I made for MY CLARITY.