Thursday, December 19, 2013

WHAT'S LEFT OF ME by AMANDA MAXLYN

BLURB:

Life works in mysterious ways.
Four years ago I became known as the girl with cancer.
I refuse to cry.
And I refuse to give in.

A relationship with a man is the last thing I’m looking for right now, but one night with Parker changes everything. He is persistent, and he knows what he wants. 
Me.
He doesn’t treat me like I’m fragile.
But he doesn’t know, and I’m not ready to tell him.
What if it changes everything?

Tragedy found me when I was seventeen.
Love found me when I was twenty-one.
My name is Aundrea McCall, and this is my journey.


My thoughts after reading...

Okay... To tell you the truth, this book really surprised me--in a good way. I promise...๐Ÿ˜‰

From reading the blurb alone, I knew this was an emotional book. I was debating whether I was up for drama or not... And obviously, drama won๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ‘ I thought I'll just pull on my big-girl boy-shorts and try to be cool and collected through the whole read...and man oh man, was I wrong๐Ÿ˜ž I wasn't able to contain my emotions... I was totally glued. I cannot put the friggin book down!

This book tells us the story of Aundrea Leigh McCall...her uphill battle with cancer, her struggles with self-esteem & her nonchalance towards the future.

It all started when her bestfriend Jean insisted on having a girl's night-out. They went to a bar downtown to have fun and loosen-up. She was resistant at first but eventually gave in at her bestfriend's unrelenting persuasion. They drank, danced and had fun.

All the liquor intake took its toll, and Aundrea needed to use the ladies room. When she saw the long queue of people to the ladies room, she boldly decided to make a bee-line towards the men's room...and there she saw a tall, tanned and handsome stranger--Parker Cade Jackson. Their eyes meet like thunder & lightning...like two souls who'd immediately known they were meant for each other. 

Aundrea just wanted to feel normal, and not treated as the girl with a life-threatening illness. And so that night, she decided to bite the bullet and gave in to spontaneity. Little did she know that her life will change the moment she left the bar with Parker.

I cant blame her for being apprehensive and reluctant when it comes to relationships. People tend to leave when the going gets tough... but life as we know it, is so full of surprises. She didn't expect the walls she'd built around her heart will crumble... She didn't expect to fall in love... It was the last thing she needed.

I do understand why she acts the way she does. Its not easy being really sick. If I was in her shoes I'd probably act the same way. The last thing a sick-person wants is to be treated, well, like a sick person. Nobody wants to be reminded of it. Its hard enough dealing with it personally, as it is. 

The treatments she went through and the after effects were described in detail, that I can vividly picture the events in my head as I turned page after page. I felt so bad for her. What the treatments did to her physical appearance...the emotional turmoil... Man, as much as I didnt wanna be a wuss...I just couldn't contain my tears. It was just so heartbreaking... I empathized with the characters... Her parents, her sister... and Parker.

Ah...Parker... Well, what can I say? He is just the sweetest and most loving person in the world. He was Aundrea's pillar of strength... I cant even begin to describe how much he loved her... It was hard for him to witness everything, but he had to remain positive for Aundrea... The things he did for her, is just so...jeez, I can't even find the words๐Ÿ˜ž Most guys like him will surely run for the hills and wont even bother with a glance. He is definitely swoon-worthy... The total package, really. 

I'm not gonna say anymore and spoil it for ya๐Ÿ˜‰

This is such a beautiful story...It teaches us to believe in the healing power of love...to never lose hope and to overcome your fears.

To all those fans of Present Perfect by Alison Bailey and Sandi Lynn's Forever Black, this is the book to read. I'm sure ya'll gonna love it as much I did! 
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐


Get your kindle copy by clicking on the link below: