Saturday, October 10, 2020

THE BACKUP GIRLFRIEND by Emma Doherty



MY THOUGHTS AFTER READING...

3.5⭐️

This was my first ARC and read from the author. I didn't know what to expect but I've read the blurb and got pulled in.

It's a high school romance–one of my fave tropes. This was more PG than I've anticipated. I know there was cussing and mention of $ëx but it was mostly clean. And don't get me wrong, in real life, it's ideal. I have a nephew and a niece who are teenagers and of course I want to protect them from anything these book characters went through, but this is a book. I was expecting at least some action, lol sorry. Like at least PG 18, not PG 14/15.

The story should've focused more on Brett and Abigail, equally. I felt like the other characters even overshadow the lead protagonist. It's probably just me, but this is my take. I hoped in the end there was more but even with the epilogue, it was still lacking or hanging and I was like, "What, that's it?"

I wish there was more. It was so promising...